Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just Say No to Snopes!

I have used Snopes for several years and always felt it was reliable. Over the past several months during this interminable campaign season Donna and I have noticed that their political factchecking does tend to lean towards the liberal side.Accordingly I no longer depend on them. Someone forwarded me the following email today which confirms my suspicions.

"I've sensed and found leftist bias in Snopes on every political 'fact' I've checked with them. They call conservative-leaning documents 'false' but give very thin evidence to back up their claim. And they label liberal documents as true or unknown when there are clear outright falsehoods orders of magnitude greater than their filter for conservative documants. I have stopped using them."

Factcheck.org which is linked with the Annenberg Foundation demonstrates the same bias. The Annenberg Foundation also funded the Chicago Annenberg Challenge which was founded by unrepentant terrorist William Ayers and was at one time chaired by Barack Obama.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. People thought they could rely on the mainstream media and we've found that is no longer the case.

    Then people thought they could rely on FactCheck and Snopes and we have seen in recent years, this is no longer the case.

    Honestly, with the availability of the internet there is no excuse for people not to conduct their own research and not rely on these discredited organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTFL! "I thought they were reliable until 'someone' with his own political agenda told me they weren't." That's the kind of self-serving, biased rumor-mongering that passes for "fact-checking" among conservatives.

    Here are some real facts:

    FactCheck.org has no connection to the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which ended long before Factcheck.org came into being in late 2003.

    Every other major fact-checking site on the web debunked the "snopes.com are liberals" rumors long ago:

    http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/snopescom/

    http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/internet/a/snopes_exposed.htm

    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/snopes.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Alan Miller, I am happy to learn that someone has gone back so far into the archives. In truth I still believe that Snopes and Fact check were a little lenient on Obama but in fact I still use them and trust most of their clarifications.

    ReplyDelete