Saturday, February 2, 2019

Dear friends and followers, I am so busy trying to get my message out in Facebook that I am not doing anything new here. I do know  that  I am getting many more hits from the Middle East. I will do my best to share my thoughts and how I learned so much about the world and its people. My memoirs which are long, were written primarily for my extended family and friends but my career in the U.S Foreign Service, which began almost by accident gave me and indeed my wonderful family to learn much about the world and the many races that live in it. I served in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) while it was gaining its Independence.

I arrived there as a young man and learned many things. Ceylon was also known as Serendip or Serendab in Arabic. I had the good fortune to meet and interact with many wonderful people and indeed learned about Yoga and Bhudda as Islam an Hindus There were also American missionaries of Christian faith from whom I learned a lot. I was once happily greeted at a Catholic mission in a far Eastern province of Ceylon and they  were overjoyed that I had brought them a few bottles of good scotch whiskey.

Following my first assignment I was assigned to Turkey. During my home leave in Calumet City, Illinois I met my wonderful wife Donna shortly before I was to travel to Turkey. We married in a month and we traveled to Turkey. More coming!







No comments:

Post a Comment